Setting up a safe, secure FaceBook Account
Joining the Club's FaceBook Group
Setting Up a Facebook Account
- Go to www.facebook.com
- Type in your first and last name in the boxes (click in the boxes first).
- Type in your email address. If you don’t want to use your “real” email and want to use a secondary account, use this. To set one up, you can sign up for a free email with Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail and others.
- Type your email address again.
- Create a password which should have letters, numbers and a symbol or two. Write this down somewhere you can find it, and do not type it into your typing application…EVER…on any password.
- Click on each day, month and year and fill in your birthday. If you don’t want to do this, you must fill it in, but you don’t have to be truthful!
- Click on Male or Female button.
- Click on the Green “Sign Up” button.
- You’ll get a new page asking if you want to find friends. You can do this later, so scroll to the bottom of the page and click NEXT.
- It’ll still urge you to find friends. Click Skip Step, unless you want it to find friends.
- The next window asks you to attach a photo. You don’t have to and can click next, although it is nice to have a photo of you so people know to whom they are communicating. If you want, either take a photo or upload a photo. Again, you can do this later.
- Click NEXT.
- Now Facebook will urge you to find friends and to take a tour of privacy settings. You should probably take the privacy tour. If you need help with privacy later, ask a friend who uses Facebook, or read the article linked to the bottom of this article. You can change privacy settings at any time.
- After you’ve taken a privacy tour, click HOME at the top of the page.
- Check your email and click “Confirm your Account” in the email Facebook has sent you.
- You’ll be returned to your page. Click OK to the little message that says you are signed in. You’re at your page. If you’re going to use Facebook for your own personal use, it’s time to add some friends. I’ll leave that to you.
Joining Glacier Probus Page
- In the top box with the “f” beside it and the spyglass on the right, type in Glacier Probus Club in the Comox Valley. You’ll need all the words.
- Press Return or Enter on your keyboard.
- There’s the Glacier Probus page.
- You can now read everything that’s going on.
- However, if you want to participate, you will need to join the page. Click Join Group (green button).
- For the first couple of days, as you get used to it, just read. When you want to comment on something, click the Reply button attached to it and type. Check it over and click "post".
- If you want to post something new, type the question or comment into your status and ask away.
- Check back often to see others' comments and updates. The more you use it, the more useful it becomes!
Security on Facebook
Facebook updates their security fairly often. The following article with assist you in setting your Privacy Settings. Check back every few months to be sure that the procedures haven't changed, as well as check the Glacier Probus in the Comox Valley page. I'll post when I notice a change.
Quick Link: Club FaceBook Group